Thursday, August 20, 2009

Empty Nest

So here I sit. I've just hugged my daughter goodbye as she is heading off on her very first beach vacation with just her friends...no adults. Pardon me, my daughter very quickly reminded me that SHE is and adult and so are all of her friends that are going since each one of them is at least 18 years old. I said, "you know what I mean!" and she snapped back, "Momma, I'm a big girl, I can do it myself!". Man, does that bring back memories! She has always been so independent. I remember when she was only 2 years old and pulling all of her clothes out of her dresser drawers trying to decide what she wanted to wear. Then I'd try to help her dress...she was only 2 you know!...but she would get very upset with me and say, "Momma, I'm a big girl, I can do it myself!" Only in not so clear words. It was actually more like: 'Momma, I a bid dirl, I tan do it myseff!' But, you get my point anyway, right? Wow, how time flies! Part of me is so very proud, but the other part of me just wants to sit down and boohoo for days! She still lives at home, so its not like 'empty nest syndrome' yet, but then again it still is. I think 'empty nest syndrome' is not just the empty house, or emptiness you feel when one of your children grows up and leaves. I believe "empty nest" can occur when our children are still at home...it's really the letting go, the pulling away that our children do when they get to a certain point in their young adult life. That 'pulling away', no longer so needing of their parents is what causes the empty nest feeling in our hearts. We've spent so many years with our whole world revolving around our children...running, going, and doing for them...but now they no longer need us. They are quite capable on their own. And that's what we want when we are raising and teaching them...we want them to grow up to be independent, self-reliant, respectful and respectable adults, and we're proud of them for it. However, it doesn't make the letting go, or the feeling of uselessness we get when they no longer need us go away any easier or faster. It's just the start of the next phase of each of our lives. I suppose it will get easier in time, just as all change does, but I'm thinking a hobby or something would do me really good right now. If I don't find things to do for and by myself, I'll try to put all of my attention to my 15 year old son...and that would positively smother him! Guess I better figure out something else to keep me occupied. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment